Earthing / Grounding
What is earthing?
The moment we come into a direct contact with Earth, billions of free electrons rush and balance the positively charged body’s molecules. Knocking out an electron from molecules is taking place around the clock. Culprits are myriad of chemicals, polluted air, contaminated water and food sources. Plus layers upon layers of the man-made low-frequency electromagnetic fields, radio frequency and microwave radiation in our living and working environment.
Our professional opinion
We extol the virtue of conducting research by earthing advocates aiming at disseminating knowledge among the wider public to benefiting from earthing as a natural body healing electro-biomechanism.
The more I read and experiment, the more I conclude that this simple term “Earthing”, which is in most cases, taken for granted, is not well understood and/or given the attention it deserves. Earthing is definitely the body’s natural healing power. However, and in order to attain the optimum earthing health benefits, it is vital to avoid wrecking those benefits through erroneous methods lacking the basic concepts of electromagnetism.
I shall draw your attention to those erroneously applied methods followed by our recommendations for proper body earthing.
What does actually happen?
“Earthing” comprises of two phenomena:
1) Ionic balance is a process of neutralizing the body’s positive ions created by knocking out the outer electron from molecules. It is achieved by the flow of electrons from the Earth into the body the moment it comes in contact with Earth. Ionic balance restores molecules to their normal biological function. Therefore normal organs functionality.
2) Capacitive coupling is the voltage induced into the body by the electric fields (EFs) in our living and working environment. It is a copy-cat of what happens to a capacitor under charge. From the moment the body is earthed till it is disconnected, the body voltage gets dissipated into the earth in a form of currents flowing at levels characterized by the size of the body and the intensity of the induced electric field.
Example: If I’m standing barefoot under 230 kV power line, I expect 32 microamps to flow through my body to the ground. This would not cause any instant damage to the body organs, but a long-term exposure could lead to health problems.
Studies and researches
What I noticed from studies and researchers I came across, is that all the measurements were taken with reference to the electrical ground (3rd prong of socket outlet). I should say that this is a principle mistake overlooked by the earthing’s advocates. Since the ground and the neutral are bolted together at the main switchboard (fuse box), studies that took the electrical ground wire as a reference are unreliable as they are influenced by the dynamic changes of the neutral wire’s potential to Earth. If the grounding is not properly installed and verified to read an earth resistance below 5 Ohms, one shouldn’t be surprised to find that the ground rod potential is higher than the body voltage!
Improper grounding system
I have not read or met an electrician installing Home/Office ground system correctly. They simply hammer the galvanized grounding rod into the earth, connect the earthing wire without conducting verification measurements. To this effect, if earthing tests conducted not referring to a separate grounding system which I call “organic ground” (below 5 Ohms), I question the results from the electrical engineering vantage point.
In the house under assessment, I installed a separate ground made of 4 ft copper coated rod measuring 4.7 Ohms earth resistance to which the earthing fabrics were connected. You would not get <5 Ohms unless you follow a certain ground installation procedure. The separate ground rod must be at least 5 m away from electrical ground rod to avoid inter-coupling. I measured the voltage between the separate ground rod and the electrical ground (third prong) and found a potential difference between them high enough to generate current flow enough to trip the earth leakage circuit breaker IΔn 0.03A (30 mA)!
As you may notice, body earthing is not straightforward. It does not work by purchasing an earthing bed-sheet, connecting it to the nearest earth prong and voila… It is not as simple as that. Of course, your body voltage would drop to near zero as you become an extension of Earth. This is not an achievement. What matters the most is the current levels continuously flowing through your body to the earth. In other words, what are the levels of the electric and magnetic fields in your body induced by the external sources around your bed?
Recommended Earthing procedures
- Never get connected to electric earth (3rd prong of a socket outlet). There are situations where the potential of the electric grounding rod is higher than the body voltage. Keep in mind that you are getting connected to the neutral wire. In this case, the desired earthing health benefits are near zero or even more harmful than the non-earthed body, i.e. floating. Some people experience discomfort after body earthing —is a testimonial.
- Before Earthing, make sure that the electric and magnetic fields in your sleeping/working environment are eliminated or minimized by switching off the sources or by keeping a distance.
In the presence of external electric fields, capacitive coupling takes effect characterized by the EFs intensities around you. Whereas in the presence of external magnetic fields, induced electric fields into the body result in loop currents in human body tissues.
The moment you get connected to Earth, two things happen:
1) The induced body voltage would dissipate to ground causing currents to flow through the body. For a given external electric field, the strongest induced electric field is when we are grounded.
2) The induced fields by external magnetic fields are dissipated to ground. Both the induced fields and their resulting currents would continue to flow through the body to earth as long as the body is in contact with the earth (i.e. grounded).
It is important to note that currents flowing through a grounded body generated by the induced electric fields are proportional to body tissues conductivity, the body size, the frequency and the external magnetic field intensity.
By eliminating or reducing the electromagnetic sources in your sleeping/working environment, you are also reducing to a great extent the domestic high-frequency voltage transients (HFVT) generated by most of the electrical appliances like dimmers, FL/CFL, chargers, just to name a few. HFVTs are another layer of induced currents proportional to the frequency range from 1KHz to 100 KHz commonly known as the “Dirty Electricity”.
Earthing your body without any consideration to the electric and magnetic fields in your environment could be counterproductive.
Before becoming an extension of Earth, make sure that the current flowing in your body, induced by the electric and magnetic fields around you, is near zero. Otherwise, it is recommended to sleep floating (not earthed) rather than becoming an “earthing node”.
If affordable, sleeping under shielded Canopy would put the above-mentioned concerns to rest. The shielded canopy would minimize the induced voltage and suppress the radio frequency radiation from internal and external sources. The induced magnetic fields would be zeroed by switching off the appliances or keeping a distance.
Send your comments to email@example.com We welcome constructive dialogue.