Earthing / Grounding
What is earthing?
The moment we come in direct contact with Earth, billions of free electrons rush and balance the positively charged body’s molecules. Knocking out an electron from molecules is taking place around the clock. The culprits are myriad of chemicals, polluted air, contaminated water and food sources. Plus layers upon layers of the man-made low-frequency electromagnetic fields, radio frequency and microwave radiation in our living and working environment.
Our professional opinion
We extol the virtue of conducting researches and tests by the Earthing Advocates aiming at disseminating knowledge among the public to benefiting from Earthing as a natural body healing electro-biomechanism.
The more I read and experiment, the more I conclude that this simple term “Earthing” which is in most cases, taken for granted, is not well understood and/or given the attention it deserves. Earthing is definitely the body’s natural healing power. However, and in order to attain the optimum health benefits, it is vital to avoid wrecking the whole process through applied Earthing methods lacking the basic concepts.
I shall draw your attention to the applied methods which, from an engineering vantage point, lack the basic concepts of the electromagnetic theory, followed by our recommendations for proper body Earthing.
What does actually happen?
It is essential to note that the process “Earthing” comprises of two phenomena:
1) Ionic balance: Is a process of neutralizing body’s positive ions created by the missing electron from molecules. It is achieved by the flow of electrons from the Earth into the body the moment it comes in contact with Earth. Ionic balance restores molecules to their normal biological function. Therefore normal organs functionality.
2) Capacitive coupling: It is the voltage induced into the body by the electric fields (EFs) in our working and living environment. It is a copy-cat of what happens to a capacitor under charge. From the moment the body is earthed till it is disconnected, the body voltage gets dissipated into the earth in a form of currents flowing at levels characterized by the body voltage at that moment in time divided by body resistance.
Studies and researches
What I noticed from studies and researches as well as the printed matters I came across, is that all the measurements were taken against the electrical ground. This is a principle mistake I should say overlooked by the Earthing’s advocates. Since the ground and the neutral are connected at the main switchboard, studies that took the electrical ground wire as a reference are unreliable as they are influenced by the dynamic changes in the neutral wire’s potential to Earth through the earthing rod. There are bad grounding conditions where the ground potential is higher than the body voltage!
Improper grounding system
I have not read or met an electrician installing Home/Office ground system correctly. They simply hammer the galvanized grounding rod into the earth, connect the earthing wire without conducting verification measurements below 5 Ohms. To this effect, if earthing tests were conducted not referring to a separate grounding system which I call “organic ground” (below 5 Ohms), I question the results from the electrical engineering vantage point.
In a house under assessment, I installed a separate ground made of 4 ft copper coated rod measuring 4.7 Ohms earth resistance to which the earthing fabrics were connected. You would not get below 5 Ohms unless you follow a certain ground installation procedure. The separate ground rod must be at least 5 m away from electrical ground rod to avoid inter-coupling. I measured the voltage between the separate ground rod and the electrical ground (third prong) and found a potential difference between them high enough to generate current flow strong enough to trip the earth leakage circuit breaker IΔn 0.03A (30 mA)!
As you may notice, Earthing is not straight forward. It does not work by purchasing an Earthing bed-sheet, connecting it to the nearest earth prong and voila… It is not as simple as that. Of course, your body voltage would drop to near zero as you became an extension of Earth. This is not an achievement. The most crucial issue is, what are the current levels continuously flowing through your body to earth? In other words, what are the levels of electric and magnetic field levels around you?
Recommended Earthing procedures
- Never get connected to electric earth (3rd prong) of a socket outlet. There are situations where the ground potential of the electric grounding rod is higher than the body voltage. Keep in mind that you are getting connected to the neutral wire. In this case, the desired Earthing health benefits are zero or even more harmful than the non-earthed body, i.e. floating.
- Before Earthing, make sure that the electric and magnetic fields in your sleeping/working environment are eliminated or minimized by switching off the sources or by keeping a distance.
In the presence of electric fields, capacitive coupling will take effect characterized by the levels of EFs around you. Whereas in the presence of magnetic fields, loop currents would be induced into the body. The moment you get connected to Earth, two things would happen:
1) The induced body voltage would dissipate to ground, therefore a current flow through the body.
2) Loop currents induced by the magnetic fields would get attracted by earth. Both the induced voltage and the loop currents would continue to flow to earth as long as the body is in contact with earth (i.e. grounded).
By eliminating or reducing the electromagnetic sources in your sleeping/working environment, you are also reducing to a great extend the domestic high-frequency voltage transients (HFVT) generated by most of the electrical appliances like dimmers, FL/CFL, chargers, just to name a few. HFVTs are another layer of induced currents proportional to the frequency range from 1KHz to 100 KHz commonly known as the “Dirty Electricity”.
Earthing your body without any consideration to the electric and magnetic fields in your environment can be counterproductive.
Before becoming an extension of Earth, make sure that the current flowing in your body, induced by the electric and magnetic fields around you, is near zero. Otherwise, it is recommended to sleep floating (not earthed) rather than becoming an “earthing node” to a highly charged electric and magnetic fields in your environment.
If affordable, sleeping under shielded canopy would put the above mentioned concerns to rest. Shielded canopy would minimize the induced voltage and suppress the radio frequency radiation from internal and external sources. The induced magnetic fields would be zeroed by switching off the appliances.
Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org We welcome constructive discussions.